Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trust


When my son was quite small, one of his favorite games was to jump off of something and have me catch him. In fact, he grew to love this game so much and he possessed so much trust in the fact that I would catch him each and every time, that he would throw himself off of something in my general direction with little or no warning. Of course I loved him and did everything within my power to catch him every time so that his intense level of trust would be well founded - but human mothers are fallible and can not be one hundred percent trustworthy. Therefore I, like all of our mothers did to us, eventually was too busy or too slow or too distracted and was not able to be there for him in the way that he wanted me to be. I let him down.

As an adult in my fifties, I have not only had parents who weren't there in the way that I needed them to be, but I have been let down by numerous people whom I trusted - siblings, friends, teachers, husbands. . . it is difficult to trust after being let down so often! Yet that is what a relationship with the Divine is all about - Trust.

I have a set of meditation cards that have words on which you are to meditate and a beautiful picture depicting that word. The last three times that I have drawn a card from this deck - I have drawn the card "Trust". The picture is of someone soaring through the air without a parachute and with no ground in sight beneath him/her. Just the picture on this card used to cause me to break out in a cold sweat and have shortness of breath. Yet as I progress on this path of connrcting in a deep way to the Divine, I am beginning to see that it is when I find the ability to jump into the unknown with abandon and child-like trust - that is when the Universe conspires to help me with synchonistic events that I could never have envisioned or foreseen.

I just got off the phone from just such an event. My husband and I had invited a spiritual teacher to come to our community to give a weekend workshop. The date for her arrival is fast approaching and I found myself with only a few people signed up for the class. Being new to the community, we don't know a large number of people and have not known how to advertise her visit. An advertisement in the weekly paper in town seemed an impersonal way to draw people to a small group workshop, but at the prompting of my husband, I wrote up a short add. With a large amount of trust that there are many people in our community that would benefit from and enjoy this class and that those who could be helped by it would be drawn to us. . . last week I emailed the add to the paper. A short time ago, the phone rang. It was a very apologetic woman from the paper. She said that she had overlooked my email when it arrived so that it had missed the deadline for being published in last week's paper. She added however, that she attended a large church in town where many people attended who would be interested in such a workshop. With my permission, she said, she would forward my email to several people who might want to attend and would also forward it to the editor who was in charge of the calender of events - also published in this same paper.

While hanging up the phone I felt chills run down my spine. What I could not do for myself had obviously been taken care of by someone larger than myself. . . because I had moved forward with trust that the people who needed to attend would be reached. As these kinds of synchronistic events show up in my life more and more, I am able to trust a bit more the next time around - as if trust is a type of muscle which must be exercised.

What are you struggling with today? Is Spirit asking you to choose a direction to go and move forward with trust that the help that you need will be there when you need it? Exercising your trust today will make trusting a bit easier tomorrow!
(Photo courtesy of fotosearch.com)

No comments: