Monday, September 29, 2008

The Law of Service

The law of service, according to Two Worlds Wisdom School, says, "You only grow through serving others." In the cosmology of the law, it goes on to say that as we do what we can to bring light to this world - we create space that is then filled with more Spirit. This new down flow of Spirit allows us to broaden our service and ministry which then creates more space that again is filled by Spirit. This creates a beautiful spiral of giving and receiving where we can never out give God/Source/the Universe.

As our circle worked together on this concept last night, many of us had personal stories of times where we were invited to do something or create something that felt outside of our abilities or outside of our comfort zone - but when we moved forward in spite of not really feeling "capable"we became a part of something larger than ourselves.

I thought of the time that I had volunteered at my children's church-affiliated school to do some classes for the Gifted and Talented. As I went from teacher to teacher to ask of their needs, I repeatedly got the same response, "Where I need your help is with the students that struggle to read at level - not my gifted and talented students." I didn't know the first thing about teaching reading to those who don't learn easily by traditional methods but I decided to do what I could and began to look for some training. Eventually I ended up in California taking a three week intense course on reading tutoring for students with specific reading disabilities. At the end of the third week, I felt totally overwhelmed with all that I had learned and totally unable to successfully use this method with real students who had real reading issues.

My weak self-esteem filled my emotions with doubt and my mind with all the reasons why I couldn't facilitate this program in my children's school throughout the long trip back from California. Finally, it came to me: I might feel totally inadequate but I was the one that at this moment had more training in reading disabilities than anyone else in the entire school. If I didn't at least try - who would help these kids? By the time I reached home, I had a new resolution in my heart to try to do what I could. I soon learned that this is all the Spirit really needs from us. Many people had heard of my trip and the taking of the class and by the end of the first week after arriving home, I had five students who wanted my help. And even more surprising to me - they all improved rapidly!

The last paragraph of the cosmology on the Law of Service says, "If you only have a small piece of bread, share it with those who hunger. You will then be rewarded a whole loaf. You can't out give God." God is not asking you to raise the dead if you have never seen yourself as a healer before. But maybe he is asking you to try to enhance healing in the people in your personal circle by lovingly applying the healing salve of acceptance and no judgement to the areas of their wounds. All you have to do is step forward and try and the Spirit will empower you and show you the way.

No comments: