Monday, February 9, 2009

Reflect Divine Light

When I was a little girl, my parents took me to the children's classes that were held before the main church services at our church. Because we attended church on Saturday, the classes were called Sabbath School and it was a happy place for me to be. One of my favorite songs that they taught me was titled, "This Little Light of Mine." It was all about how I was to let my light shine out to the world. On one of my favorite lines, we would all shout, "Hide it under a bushel? - NO! I'm gonna let it shine!" Back in those days, I had a vague sense that my "light" had to do with God shining through me out into the world in a way that made the world a bit brighter place. This idea lit up a sense of purpose in my very young heart and inspired me to try to be kind, helpful and honest whenever I could.

Today, more than ever, our world is in need of light and I find myself with a renewed fervor to let my light shine and to be a real "lightworker" for the kingdom of the Divine. But now in my fifties, I know in my heart that there is more to this idea than doing random acts of kindness, even though kindness and helpfullness are still wonderful. I have come to see that at the spirit level, we each carry a spark of the Divine. This spark is seeking to ignite into a flame of bright holiness in each of our lives. This process, however is not a simple one seeing that the Divine spark is trying to manifest and grow inside of our very dense animal bodies. So, how do we become bright lights that illuminate and transform the world? What is our part in this process?

Early this morning, as I took my small dog out to do her morning business, the heavy clouds over Spokane thinned in just the right spot to reveal the moon in all her splendor. Winters are gray in Spokane and any glimpse of the moon or sun brings light into the body and joy and hope to the soul. As I stood gazing at her lovely light, the moon reminded me of this idea of being a lightworker in the world. The sun produces its own light from its own essence. The moon, however, is merely soft and receptive to the sun's light and then reflects it down to us. What a beautiful metaphor for us and what we can do for the world. In our animal bodies, we may not be able to produce much light from our own essence, but we can be soft and receptive to the Divine Spirit in a way that absorbs and then reflects into the world a soft but beautiful reflection of the Divine Light. Then just as the moon waxes into fullness, as we do this more and more, our animal bodies will begin to clarify, our tiny spark will begin to grow and we will be able to shine more and more brightly.

I invite you, as you create your empty interval today, to consciously open yourself and be receptive to the Divine Spirit. Then, throughout your day, simply "be" the reflection of the absorbing of that light. Done every day, this practice will not only be transforming in your own life but will bring transformation to the world around you. "Let your little light shine!"

No comments: