Monday, November 3, 2008

The Shack

Last week, while in Las Vegas for my husband to attend a medical conference, I read the book The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. Even though the book is a work of fiction, I got the feeling that I was reading the heart of one man's journey from deep personal pain and anger at God toward wholeness and peace.

The protagonist is a middle-aged father of five named Mack who has worked hard to be a good, loving father in spite of many unresolved father issues of his own. Traditional religion is difficult for him but he is fairly happy and fulfilled until the unthinkable happens. His youngest daughter is abducted and apparently murdered in an old shack deep in the wilderness of Oregon. For four years, Mack is totally engulfed in "The Great Sadness". His guilt over not having been able to keep his precious child safe creates anger and rage not only toward himself but toward God. Suddenly a note appears in his mailbox inviting him to return to the old shack for a weekend. The note is evidently from God. The weekend that follows transforms his life.

Any time that you make the statement, "God is . . .", it matters not what word follows that statement - that word will limit who God is. So, in a way, Mr. Young's personification of three aspects of who God is, his descriptions of how God moves through the story and the protagonist's conversations with God, are all greatly limiting to who God is. On the other hand, if you can accept that this book is not attempting to teach doctrine but is sharing one' man's heart on how to reconcile that God is a loving God even when there is great suffering on this planet - the book is greatly touching.

I found that the protagonist's struggles with God brought to the surface some of my own unresolved pain and anger. Do we not all have father issues? Do we not all struggle to understand how God can be a loving God when we experience pain and suffering in our own lives? If read with an open heart, I believe that this book can be a catalyst for healing some of our own unresolved wounds and resentments.

I invite you to read The Shack. I invite you to allow your own unresolved pain and anger to emerge as Mack's emerges. I invite you to listen to your own soul speak to you as Mack converses with God. I invite you to struggle with God as Mack struggles. It just might bring healing and transformation to your life as well as to Mack's.

What a great book!

1 comment:

Kathy Loewen said...

Thanks Suzi. I appreciated your affirmation of the sometimes controversial book, The Shack. I too received, through it, some deeply spiritual insights into the heart of God. The story illustrated to me the fact that He's willing to transform Himself into anything, (Big Mama, Outdoorsman, Sparkling Essence, Shepherd, Baby, Death, Words, Light, Bread, etc.), whatever I need in order to gradually open the layers of my heart to 'His' gentle healing. Some of my own struggles became clear as I indentified with Mack's journey from pain and anger to wholeness.

He didn't immediately recognize God, because his pre-conceived ideas clashed with 'reality.' I found myself suprised and relieved to see 'Him' so personable. My spirit needed that.

After savoring the book, I shared it with my daughter in hopes it might enhance her spiritual journey as well. She too received stimulating insights into the heart of God, the patient healer.

The book is now with her friend.
If it ever comes home, I shall read it again, in hopes that more layers of my heart will open to God's healing touch.