Sunday, October 19, 2008

Surrender


On dictionary.com, the word surrender is defined as "the act of giving up one's person, one's possessions, or people under one's command to the authority, power, or control of another." The visual that comes to my mind along with this definition is that of the white flag tied on the end of the musket in an old war movie. It is what you are forced to do when you no longer have the wherewithal to keep fighting the battle.


Yes, there is this aspect of surrender on the Spiritual path. There are always times when one must acknowledge that they are fighting a battle that is way over their head, surrender it to a higher power and then completely let go. Early on in my journey, this was a very familiar cycle to me - I would grow unhappy with some part of my life, fight tooth and nail to change it for weeks, months or even years and then finally fall exhausted to my knees and turn it over to God.

Slowly, with time and wisdom, a new concept of surrender began to come to me. The visual of deciduous trees feeling the first twinges of the approaching winter, begin by surrendering their greens to yellows, oranges and reds and then silently releasing their leaves as if they understand at a deep level that holding on to the old would make them vulnerable to damage during the snows of winter and would keep them from being able to be reborn in the spring. What a beautiful metaphor for the Spiritual path! What if we, like the trees, moved through life with an ongoing attitude of openness and surrender which allowed Spirit to point out what is no longer serving us well, what is going to make us vulnerable to the storms that are coming and what is going to keep us from being able to be reborn in areas that are in need of transformation.

I have a new favorite prayer: "I am open to healing in this area," or "I am open to learning a lesson in this area." Does this openness and constant state of surrender release me from the sometimes painful process of releasing the old and accepting the new? No, but it does invite in the abundant help that the universe is anxious to give. . . and it allows me to move more smoothly through the seemingly endless process of letting go of what no longer serves my highest good.

This time of year, as the deciduous trees turn lovely shades of yellows, oranges and reds and begin to slowly and steadily release their leaves - what a great time to ask Spirit what is ready to be surrendered from your life?

No comments: