Sunday, August 24, 2008

Too Busy Saving the World


One of my step-daughters is here visiting for a long weekend. She is a soft and sensitive soul who has experienced a lot of hard "stuff" during her short twenty-three years. As an on-looker, I would expect her experiences to equal bitterness and anger, but she has managed to sage into someone who is wise beyond her years and who loves beyond most people's capacity.

During a conversation, she shared with us a situation that she is struggling with. She has determined that a major change in her life would serve her highest good yet she fears that such a change could possibly cause pain to people that she loves. She seems torn and anxious as she says, "I have a save the world complex!"

I so deeply relate to my step-daughter's dilemma, as many of you may as well. The soft and sensitive among us tend to get the job descriptions of "healing everyone around them" within the systems where we live and work. In fact, we get so busy fixing, calming, soothing and taking care of that it leaves very little time for us to connect to who we are and what we need.

A spiritual principle that has really helped me with my own "save the world complex" is the idea that nothing comes into our life without an invitation from our soul. It is my job to pay attention to the Heartsong Moments as well as the painful moments in my life so that I can learn the lessons that my soul is trying to teach me. You must do the same with the moments in your life. If I rescue you from your lessons before you have learned them, then I am only getting in your way - not helping you at all. To learn to fly, you have to jump from the nest. Is there ever a time when we should help those we love? Of course! When someone asks us about something in our life that they admire - this is a perfect opportunity to share what we have learned. But, we interfere with their most important lessons when we try to save them from experiencing the discomfort that they have drawn to themselves.

Today, do not be too busy saving the world to pay attention to what your life is trying to teach you.

No comments: